The history of De Hoge Veluwe National Park is full of idealism and vision.
The Park is a cultural heritage formed early in the twentieth century by the married couple Anton and Helene Kröller-Müller. Anton was a successful businessman. He was passionate about hunting and therefore, as from 1909, purchased De Hoge Veluwe hunting ground, in phases. Helene was an enthusiastic art collector. Together Anton and Helene pursued an ideal: uniting nature and art in the interests of the common good.
In the period 1909-1923, the foundations for the current Park were laid. The Park was fenced off and animals brought in (mouflons, red deer and wild boar). The family's residence, Jachthuis Sint Hubertus was built and visual works of art purchased. This period also saw the start of the construction of a museum for the art collection.
However, from around 1923, a serious economic crisis hit. The couple had to discontinue the construction of the museum. The situation deteriorated and the family was no longer able to sustain the property. In 1935, a solution to the problems was found. The Park was to be transferred to form part of a Foundation: De Hoge Veluwe National Park. The national government granted the Foundation an interest-bearing mortgage loan. The art collection was donated to the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the government built the museum. This now forms the oldest part of the current Kröller-Müller Museum.
To date, the Kröller-Müller Museum and the Park are still two different organisations. Although their responsibilities are discrete, there is still plenty of cooperation. And that is not surprising, as the basic principle – the vision of the founders – remains the same: bringing together nature and culture for the common interest.